Friday, August 31, 2007

IMMoo 2007 Event Plan

The plan is the basis for change - it is unlikely that all will proceed according to plan.

I liked Sweet Baboo's IMKY 2007 plan post; this is mine for IMMoo 2007. Kitting out is highly weather-dependent, so that's not in this post.

This is mostly the same broad outline as I had for the Canadian Iron 2005 (old report here). I've added a smidgen to the swim thoughts, since a 2400 person start is so different from a 70 person start, and since I so disliked my IMAZ 2007 swim. With my One Thing I'm also asking more from myself on the run than to just keep running. The only substantive nutrition change is gels instead of bars on the bike. Yes, I can take in gels with sports drink.

Biggest sources for the pacing:
- Strauss article (Strauss uses primary material from Going Long)
- Recap of Laursen et al. journal article

For anyone looking for a full event day guide:
- Strauss Ironman How-To (much overlap with Strauss article above)

Swim
- seed for being about 33rd percentile
- accept a sprint at start then look for feet
- estimate HR upper zone 2 effort; double or bilateral breathing and hold form
- increase kick for about the last 3 minutes

T1
- slow and deliberate
- take the time to drink water - rehydrate and fill the gut to increase rate of gastric emptying

Bike
- first bottle: water
- take a gel and a succeed tab at 20 minutes
- use last of water to take another gel and succeed tab
- look to take in 400 calories per 20 miles after first aid station
- probably won't be able to drink as much as during training; expect more calories from gels and fewer from gatorade endurance
- take 1 succeed tab for every bottle of gatorade endurance (from aid stations)
- pacing per Strauss but be happy with mid-zone 2 versus upper, and keep in check on climbs
- gradually spin out the legs over the last five miles

T2
- slow and deliberate but keep moving - do not stop to rest

Run
- first two miles are to stretch out legs and back (back muscles will hurt on shift to vertical)
- after that, zone 2 effort - pay attention to cadence and tall posture - just keep running
- walk the aid stations, strive to take in 300 calories per hour, expect 2 succeed tabs per hour
- after mile 20 can let heartrate/perceived exertion go

18 Comments:

Blogger Spandex King said...

Your going to Rock!!!! See ya at the race!!

8/31/2007 09:58:00 am  
Blogger Andra Sue said...

Wow...that's complex. My plan for the HIM is, simply, "survive". Okay, well maybe it's a little more involved than that, but nothing like your masterpiece! You will undoubtedly do awesome!!!

8/31/2007 11:17:00 am  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

I like your careful, analytical perspective for your upcoming IM race and look forward to following your progress as you work your plan.

8/31/2007 11:36:00 am  
Blogger Jenny Davidson said...

Great post, great plan, great links. I like that OODA strategy, never heard that one before but seems apt for life in general!

8/31/2007 11:55:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

An element of the plan I particularly like is the percentile swim goal. Where you want to be as opposed to the time you want to achieve.

(But of course I love it when a plan comes together ...)

This weekend I pack the cowbell!

8/31/2007 02:00:00 pm  
Blogger Iron Eric said...

Have a good Ironman!!

8/31/2007 02:13:00 pm  
Blogger the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

...and this is where all that high powered logic will really pay dividends, I think.

I'll be rooting for you - Do Great!

8/31/2007 11:04:00 pm  
Blogger Cliff said...

Brent,

This looks like a very good strategy.

How do you gauge yourself in the swim ? I don't suppose you watch your HRM while you are swimming? Is keeping at Zone 2 a more of a perceived effort?

As for yoru comment about muscle imbalance. Thanks for the tip. I do notice I need to do leg exercise to keep my knees from pain.

9/01/2007 12:02:00 am  
Blogger Cliff said...

I like the part how the last 6 miles on the run just let it go. :)

9/01/2007 12:03:00 am  
Blogger Deb said...

Go Brent! Looks very complicated to me, but you obviously know what you're doing.

9/01/2007 07:33:00 am  
Blogger Iain said...

Good plan of attack - Keep hydrated and the electrolytes up. Good Luck, Brent. Not that I'd ever be able to do what you do, but I understand the goals.

9/01/2007 08:09:00 am  
Blogger Tammy said...

Absolutely fabulous plan. You are on the mark! Oh, but wait... one thing is missing.... what's your mantra going to be for those 'tough times'?

9/01/2007 08:22:00 pm  
Blogger Born To Endure said...

Go Brent go!!! I'll be watching live and in person!!

9/02/2007 01:47:00 pm  
Blogger S. Baboo said...

Looking forward to tracking you! I hope your plan unfolds flawlessly!

9/02/2007 04:31:00 pm  
Blogger Bigun said...

I know what will happen to me in a year - I'll come up with a great plan like yours and then only remember to "Bigun drink" and "Bigun eat" followed closely with "Bigun don't die".

9/03/2007 07:12:00 am  
Blogger Brent Buckner said...

All: thanks for your supportive comments!

Cliff:
In the water I use PE relative to my breathing cycle. Back when I had a functioning waterproof HRM I benchmarked PE and single/bilateral/double breathing against heart rate.

Tammy:
I prefer counting (strokes or cadence) to a mantra.
Inasmuch as I have a mantra, it is either "Just keep executing" or "whose stupid idea was this, anyway?"

9/03/2007 07:55:00 am  
Blogger Fe-lady said...

Sounds like you have a great plan that has been tested and tried and thought over again and again! Thanks for the links...I just may keep this page to guide me a little under a year from now!

9/03/2007 07:37:00 pm  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Sounds like a great plan. Hope the weather is kind to you and all else goes well.

Best of luck, Brent!!!

9/04/2007 12:14:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home