Wednesday, August 29, 2007

From the E-mail Archives: Personal Race Report Canadian Iron Distance Triathlon 2005

Okay folks, again I'm digging back in my e-mail archives, this time for my report from my second triathlon, the Canadian Iron Distance Triathlon held in Ottawa on September 3, 2005 (not to be confused with the Mdot race Ironman Canada). Today, it's just the report - a bit more another day, probably tomorrow.

The primary goal of completing without permanent injury was achieved. For those who want more detail, read on; for the rest, just skip it!

My results (from http://www.sportstats.ca/res2005/cani.htm ):
-----------------------------------------------------
Bib Number: 280
Overall Place: 44 (70 starters, 68 finishers)
Overall Time: 12:45:25
Division: M40-44
Division Place: 11/14 (14 starters, 14 finishers)

Swim Time: 1:14:52
Bike Time, plus transitions time: 6:42:31
Run Time: 4:48:03
-----------------------------------------------------

I found the overall experience quite worthwhile and interesting, and even fun at times. The event was well run. The course was very flat and some find it dull (12 out-and-back loops on the bike, and 4 out-and-back loops on the run). The loops don't matter much to me -> I don't pay much attention to my surroundings.

Wetsuits were used. My pace was about right, but I could only intermittently draft. I need more practice swimming in the wetsuit - my stroke fell apart with the change in stresses on the shoulders. The buoyancy made for so much less effort that I was happy with the trade-off.

Again, I took the transitions extremely slowly and deliberately (my personal timekeeping indicates that I spent 24 minutes in transitions).

I was happy with the bike segment, and laps 9 through 11 felt great. For those who pay attention to such things, I kept my heartrate in mid-zone 2. I didn't kit out the bike with the front aero water bottle - I decided that the thing is too much bother when I'm just grabbing Gatorade.

I considered the clock after the bike, and decided not to press on the run. I didn't walk, but I stopped at aid stations. It rained some during the run, which was welcome; it helped keep me from overheating. I really dogged the run around kilometres 20 through 35, and then finished reasonably strongly.

The aftermath on the legs was noticable, but I'm still going down stairs forward, so it wasn't extreme.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Davidson said...

I like the phrase "primary goal of completing without permanent injury"!

I'm with you on the surroundings question, too--since even on runs I do ALL THE TIME I seem to periodically look up & think, "You know, I could swear I have never passed by in this direction in my life..." The Central Park loop is about 6 miles which is great for running and can be adapted in different variants (skip lower loop, do 2 x upper 5 and it's 10 or whatever), really an adventurous bike rider would go up out & over the GW Bridge and ride in the WORLD but I think it will be possible to have perfectly good 60-mile training rides by doing, say, 10 loops in the park!

8/29/2007 09:17:00 am  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Had no idea that you'd done an iron distance race so early in your tri career. WOW!

8/29/2007 09:56:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

And you were in pretty darned good humour the next day, too! (I can't believe that's a couple of years ago.)

8/29/2007 01:17:00 pm  
Blogger Andra Sue said...

I'm sorry, I couldn't get past the part where you said this was your SECOND triathlon. Like EVER? You are way beyond craaaaaaaazy. But in a good way. :)

8/29/2007 03:33:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home