Wednesday, October 10, 2007

2008 Season - Fall Marathon Choice

Back at the end of June I posted a blurb on my 2008 season thoughts.

I've given some consideration to picking a fall 2008 marathon for an attempt to run my Boston Qualifying time. The choice: the Northern Central Trail (NCT) Marathon in Maryland over the US Thanksgiving weekend. For the curious, here's the marathonguide.com write-up

I expect that I'll be visiting my friend JK and family in Baltimore, so by making that my marathon I put less pressure on my calendar by effectively combining trips. While the NCT marathon course isn't ideal for a BQ attempt, it is very good. Obvious possible problems include general weather conditions, wind-tunnel effects on the tree-lined straightaway sections of trail, and somewhat sparse aid stations. I'll accept the compromises - the consequence of falling short of the goal would be nothing more than perhaps wanting to try again. Anyhow, maybe I'll be motivated to train a little more, knowing that I won't have every possible advantage ;-)

As mentioned in June, the Cayman Brac Turtle Tri (April 6, 2008) is also in my plans.

I'm not yet settled on other events. With the late season marathon I have a bit more flexibility in selecting a 70.3; also, such things as doing the Las Vegas tri (perhaps just a relay leg) bear consideration. Amongst other things, let's see what raceAthlete comes up with.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Turtle Tri!!! (I love those shirts.)

Good compromise on the marathon - it comes with a built in cheering section, too. And the promise of fun no matter what.

10/10/2007 07:40:00 am  
Blogger Jenny Davidson said...

Oh, that sounds great!

10/10/2007 08:20:00 am  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

Good luck towards qualifying for Boston.

10/10/2007 10:18:00 pm  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

I love small marathons, though not particularly trail running because I have weak ankles and no trails to train on.

Good luck on the BQ!

10/11/2007 11:32:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home