Friday, June 29, 2007

Through A Spy Glass, Darkly

Maybe it's goals week 'round the triblogosphere (see all the IMCDA folks and my sister's post).

It's funny. If one wants to do an Ironman (TM) then one ought to decide upon it more than one year in advance (otherwise one pays the community fund fee if there's even a slot available, or works the "qualify" tactics, or perhaps does some worthy TNT fundraising). Apparently what this means in my life is that now I have to set firmly in mind what I'd rather do than an Ironman, because otherwise I'll get swept up in the emotion and register. I do better picking the next goal before achieving the current one (saves a languishing period), but this is getting silly.

Post-IMMoo 2007, I want to rebuild some strength and improve body composition. My major performance goal is to run my BQ (Boston Qualifying) time.

A complicating factor is that I'm committed to running a marathon on a very slow course in either February 2008 or February 2009.

Backstory: almost two years ago I agreed to do a couple of marathons with friend JK. He wants to be in the Seven Continents Club; I said that I'd run with him in Europe (done - Berlin Marathon 2006 Race Report) and Antarctica. We're on the waitlist for Antarctica 2008 - if we don't make it off the waitlist, we get guaranteed entry for Antarctica 2009.

Upshot: pick a fall 2008 marathon for attempt at BQ.

Additional notes:
- could do early-season 70.3 in 2008 (still hearing the call of Disney)!
- could do more local events!
- just heard that the Cayman Brac Turtle Tri is back April 6, 2008 - Olympic distance race on the smaller island - that should work!

13 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yup. It's definitely going around! And it's not as easy as it ought to be either. (At least in my opinion.)

Turtle tri-ing sounds like it fits the bill!

6/29/2007 11:21:00 am  
Blogger Brent Buckner said...

Wendy: Fits the Hawksbill!

6/29/2007 11:27:00 am  
Blogger Jenny Davidson said...

I hate having to make choices, don't you?!? I will grudgingly admit that I can't do it all, but it kind of makes me crazy...

6/29/2007 11:53:00 am  
Blogger Wrenched Photography said...

Eagleman Eagleman Eagleman

6/29/2007 01:08:00 pm  
Blogger Brent Buckner said...

Jenny: From your post ("And then in 2008..."), I suppose we could have gathered that!

Winz: But Disney! DISNEY!!!

6/29/2007 02:14:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Brent ... ooooh. Turtle pun.

In fact it's all about critters, isn't it?. Mice**, eagles, turtles ...

** and ducks, and rabbits ...

6/29/2007 07:14:00 pm  
Blogger Cliff said...

Critters? Canadian Goose tri :)

Running marathon in Antarctica? HARD CORE.

Boston qualify would be great....i do wanna see where is my potential to BQ after my IM.

6/30/2007 12:18:00 am  
Blogger Jenny Davidson said...

Consider NYC for your fall 2008 marathon, I am very set on doing that one! It would be very fun...

6/30/2007 01:14:00 pm  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Antartica marathon ... WOW, that's tough, *really* tough. Hopefully the boat will at least make it there. I heard one time that the folks couldn't get there for some reason and so they ended up running laps on the ship!

Good luck on your BQ quest. The Honu Half (Hawaii 70.3) is 2 weeks after Disney if you like turtles :-)

6/30/2007 01:32:00 pm  
Blogger Fe-lady said...

Tucson marathon in December is always an option!!

6/30/2007 05:58:00 pm  
Blogger Andra Sue said...

Antartica??? You are INSANE.

That is all.

7/02/2007 09:23:00 am  
Blogger Jenny Davidson said...

And since NY is not the fastest course, consider Philadelphia also, I will come & cheer on & anyone who likes (Wendy!) can stay with me at my mom's house for free!

7/02/2007 10:31:00 am  
Blogger shelek said...

IMs are like crack, or I imagine they are since I'm not well-versed in crack. Antartica is cold-- that is one toughguy marathon. How many people do they let in?

Good luck with your decision and the Boston qualifying!

7/05/2007 11:02:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home