Friday, March 02, 2007

Travel (Mis(s))Adventures III: Pick-up Lines

Travels featured a few lines of dialogue that may amuse some.

At the end of dinner with the gang Friday night at The Cadillac Grille (certainly not a down-scale spot) I felt a tap on my shoulder. An attractive woman (late twenties?) stood there; she proceeded to ask me (paraphrased), "What kind of drugs do you sell, or where do I know you from?"

I could not believe that anyone would deliver that line to a stranger along with his 5 dinner companions, so I floundered as I tried to place her (again, wine is a big part of dinner). I eventually disavowed any prior interactions. I'm still shaking my head over that one - undergrad friend MB says it was hugely amusing watching me mentally spinning through my rolodex and coming up blank (ObStarTrek: Norman, coordinate!). Later intel confirmed that the woman and her female companion were out on a man-hunt.

Maybe I would have avoided that scene if:
(a) it hadn't been my turn to pick up the tab, requiring me to call for the whole bill on my credit card; or
(b) I'd had a haircut more recently.

Sunday night I plunked down toward the end of the bar at the Crowne Plaza Airport Hotel in Atlanta for dinner, drinks, and the Oscars. Eventually a woman took the (pretty much last available) seat next to me at the very end of the bar. We had an entertaining 2+ hours of watching the show and talking about movies.

I wonder whether my answer early in the evening, "I'm just in from skiing at Jackson Hole on my way home to the Cayman Islands," functioned as a pick-up line. OTOH, maybe it's the watch. You never know.

Anyhow, as she was preparing to retire after the Best Picture Award, she dug into her purse saying to-herself-but-out-loud (paraphrased), "What room am I in? Here I am, room [number elided]," pulling out her key card envelope. Tough not to read into that one.

She seemed nice - but she smoked. At least our parting was much more graceful than the one at the Cadillac Grille.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bolder said...

should have asked her if it's a non-smoking room!

3/02/2007 10:47:00 am  
Blogger David Rotor said...

Someone must be smoking something here ...

3/02/2007 02:15:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is just too funny! Thanks to MB's comment I can visualize the struggle ...

I think the watch definitely deserves some credit.

3/02/2007 07:45:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahem... Clearly you are not making good use of that leather bound black book Mo gave you. It should have at least been available for a quick consultation (rather than spinning the mental rolodex).

3/02/2007 08:33:00 pm  
Blogger Habeela said...

Someone actually thought the first two pick-up lines were good?! Oh my! We're supposed to be much smoother than that!

I am still amused that you decided to fly off to cold weather when most of us are looking to escape it. Glad you had a good week.

3/03/2007 10:11:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, telling somebody in a hotel bar, "I'm up from the Caymans to do a little skiing..." has a pretty good ring to it.

DAK

3/05/2007 01:34:00 pm  
Blogger Brent Buckner said...

All: thanks for stopping by!

3/05/2007 03:19:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home