Thursday, November 09, 2006

Gear!


Perhaps prompted in part by the plethora of posts by my sister about toys, featuring two about watches, I finally got around to making a certain purchase.

With a new sport comes an opportunity for new gear.
Mmmmm... gear....

Over the summer I did the PADI Open Water scuba certification, and thus I could mentally justify a shopping spree. Yesterday I bought a dive watch, ostensibly as a backup for dive computers: the Omega Seamaster 2254.50. Correction: according to the marketing literature, it's not a mere *watch* it's a chronometer. I do have a minor attachment to Omega, as they were the top-of-the-line equipment for timing in meets when I was swimming as a child. This one is more to my taste than its cousin, the current James Bond watch.

I think the dive watch feature of rotating bezel qualifies it as a toy. I wonder if it's a toy that will have an effect on the behaviour of salespeople? I suppose I'll find out.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oooooh!!!! Gear!!!! Shiny things!!!! Oooooh!!! As pictured? Black face?

Plus Omega is the premier watch supplier to *astronauts*!!

11/09/2006 07:33:00 am  
Blogger Brent Buckner said...

As pictured. Black face, black bezel.

11/09/2006 07:58:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent choice! I'll look forward to seeing you wear it!

And yes, in some establishments it will result in a happier more attentive reaction from sales staff, especially when worn with casual clothes. Unless you pull it out of your front jeans pocket ... in which case (ho!) it may result in a more attentive reaction from security ...

11/09/2006 08:24:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicely done. Can't say enough good things about the Omega timepieces. I bought my husband a Speedmaster Moon Watch for his birthday this year. Outstanding stuff!

11/09/2006 01:25:00 pm  
Blogger Brent Buckner said...

Wendy, Susanna: thanks.

High praise on selection from the crow section!
:-)

11/09/2006 01:50:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crows, sharks... whatever. We like shiny things.

11/10/2006 12:29:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

We like shiny things, we collect 'em -- and sometimes we collect 'em and give 'em away!

11/10/2006 07:04:00 am  
Blogger Bolder said...

i have the same watch.

as your sister probably observed.

i've always been fond of it.

11/16/2006 06:57:00 pm  

<< Home