Tuesday, November 07, 2006

A Child Could Do It!

In my previous post I commented that "checking out equipment was more demanding than I'd expected."

Sunday I got up relatively late (7am) and headed out to the local coffee shop not all that long after its 8am opening. I managed to stretch out coffee and bagels long enough for one of the local triathletes, Larry Walters, to show up after his morning ride.

That was as far as I could let the procrastination go. I headed back to the condo to assemble my big-@ss fan and CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer.

The fan was quite straight-forward. The trainer, less so. It's just that the assembly instructions were too brief. Actually, I did much better following this post than I did the instruction sheet. I gather that my model is a little older (I ordered it at the beginning of June) - there were some small differences between mine and Paulie's. I'm pretty sure that the whole operation would have gone more quickly if I could have borrowed his two-and-a-half year old assistant!

Some folks may be shaking their heads at the thought of using a trainer as the local weather moves toward gorgeous as rainy season draws to a close. With the traffic, evening training rides just aren't a good idea on the roads 'round here.

Usually I let the pop culture references stand or fall on their own, but today I'll make an exception (maybe I should make it a new habit). For the Star Trek impaired, the title of today's post is taken from the original series episode Spock's Brain.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This post made me think of many parents' seasponal fear -- "some assembly required"!

It's a fine thing that the TBC is here to help. (And that you'd had your morning coffee!)

11/07/2006 07:57:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ability to assemble things is encoded on the Y chromosome. For a real man, there are no instructions. Just a sheet with some opinions of what you might want to try if you get stuck.

11/07/2006 07:58:00 am  
Blogger :) said...

ditto nigel...I refuse to read instructions!

11/07/2006 08:52:00 am  

<< Home