Sunday, April 10, 2011

Trajectory Improvement

Since early December I've been doing rehab for my left shoulder (sprained rotator cuff followed by onset of frozen shoulder syndrome). It's much better now (my thanks to Christine Gibbs of A Step Ahead Physiotherapy), but we're continuing with treatment to bring it back fully.

I didn't care to apply more discipline for fitness than the rehab demanded. So I'm now at what I consider peak fatness.

A couple of weeks ago I added abdominal exercises to most days, primarily to avoid going over the brink of having to buy pants with larger waistbands.

This weekend I started experimenting with a return to cardio exercise. Saturday afternoon I did a one hour treadmill run (zone 2/zone 3), along with the minor walk to and from the gym. Sunday morning I did a set of 5 intervals on my spin bike.

Right now, I'm thinking that I'll target relatively long duration low intensity running three days a week and on those days (and only those days) I'll target expending significantly more calories than I consume. No two of those days would be consecutive. I could target doing spinning intervals on two (or three!) other days a week.

Not sure when I'll add more resistance training than the theraband work I'm doing for my shoulder and back (along with some core exercises).

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Davidson said...

It is good!

4/10/2011 05:25:00 pm  
Blogger Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Frozen Shoulder Syndrome does not sound fun!

4/10/2011 06:42:00 pm  
Blogger Duane said...

Glad you are back at it!

4/11/2011 07:39:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home