Sunday, December 06, 2009

Quick Note on Cayman Islands Half Marathon

Did the Cayman Islands Half Marathon this morning, looking at is as a hard effort supported training run.

Came in at 2:00:53 (per results at allsportcentral.com). Had a long break somewhere after mile 12.

I came up on a fellow who'd dropped to a walk, and he was weaving some. I dropped to a walk with him and eventually decided to sit him down rather than accept the injury risk if his leg buckled (though we were close to the finish he was weaving more and showing little peripheral awareness). One runner pledged to send someone back for us, and soon Coach Jerry Harper showed up on his scooter. Coach went off to get us more support. A volunteer equipped with a radio arrived and called in. Next to arrive was a police car, and the officer was set to get the fellow to the nearby hospital (although not all that much further back of his car I did see an ambulance coming our way). With the fellow in good hands I went off to finish my run. I was hanging around after the finish when the police officer stopped by to report to the event organizers, so I was able to get the assurance that the fellow was on an IV drip at the hospital with no known serious complications.

A good run (average heart rate 175) with the local peeps, great support from the volunteers, and I even got to help with keeping it a safe and friendly event (yea me). My thanks to the organizers, sponsors, and volunteers!

10 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

Well done, Brent! Glad to see that you focused on what was important.

12/06/2009 11:20:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yea you indeed! (And yay Other Runner, Coach Jerry, Officer Friendly and the Paramedic Personnel, too!)

12/06/2009 01:40:00 pm  
Blogger Jenny Davidson said...

I am very glad you were there, Brent! This is good - you had a good run yourself & helped also...

12/06/2009 05:19:00 pm  
Blogger Shelley said...

Congrats!

12/07/2009 12:57:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a good running samaritan you are!

12/09/2009 07:59:00 pm  
Blogger Iron Eric said...

Jeremy tried to get me to do the Cayman Islands half or full marathon. Sure was tempting...I think I would have done it if I had more money :)

I am glad that it was a good race/run for you.

12/18/2009 05:10:00 pm  
Blogger Deb said...

Nicely done all round, Brent!

12/20/2009 07:14:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1/02/2010 03:32:00 pm  
Blogger IronLinae, PhD said...

Wow. That runner is lucky you stayed with him.

1/05/2010 10:13:00 am  
Blogger Lindsay said...

Great job!!!

6/17/2010 11:11:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home