Monday, August 17, 2009

The Week That Was

Monday: 1.5hr. treadmill run (zone 2)
Tuesday: 0.5hr. treadmill run (zone 3, max. 170)
Thursday: 1.0hr. treadmill run (zone 3, max. 170)
Friday: 1.5hr. treadmill run (1.5hr. lower half zone 2)
Saturday: 2.0hr. treadmill run (zone 1)
Sunday: 1.75hr. treadmill run (1.5hr. lower half zone 2, 0.25hr. upper half zone 2)

Thursday's one hour session showed that my lactate threshold is significantly over 170, so the increase in my upper training heart rate was warranted.

Wednesday night's Stroke and Stride event went safely and well. A few flurries of organizational stress, of course, but we put it all together. The next two iterations should go more smoothly now that we've worked through a couple of kinks (weather permitting).

5 Comments:

Blogger Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

I didn't think one's lactate threshold changed much... At least that is what I was told by a coach.

8/17/2009 11:19:00 am  
Blogger Dances with Corgis said...

Brent- is there a reason all your runs are on the treadmill? How come you don't step outside for some miles?

8/17/2009 01:35:00 pm  
Blogger Brent Buckner said...

Danielle:
I'm slowly approaching my Lactate Threshold Heart Rate from initially far below. I don't think it went up 5bpm in a month, but it does respond to training ("Untrained individuals usually reach the LT at about 60% of VO2 max. With training, LT can increase from 60% to above 70% or even higher. Elite endurance athletes and top masters athletes typically have LTs at or above 80% of VO2 max. Values approaching 90% have been reported.")

Dances with Corgis:
I prefer to run on the treadmill because it is hot and humid around here. I'd rather absorb less heat stress and so have my heart supplying more blood to my muscles and less to my skin (in a vain attempt at thermoregulation).

8/17/2009 01:56:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Zone 3! Yes, we'll hope that the weather is favourable.

We are doing a fair imitation of your heat and humidity today. (32*C but with a humidex of 41*C.) I'm glad I'm a swimmer!

8/17/2009 03:04:00 pm  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

A higher LT shows good progress. Keep working it, Brent!

8/18/2009 12:23:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home