Monday, July 27, 2009

The Week That Was

Tuesday: 1.0hr. treadmill run (lower half zone 2)
Wednesday: 1.25hr. run (top zone 2)
Friday: 1.5hr. treadmill run (0.5hr. zone 1, 1.0hr. lower half zone 2)
Saturday: 2.0hr. treadmill run (low zone 1 - at least 10bpm below zone 2)
Sunday: 2.0hr. treadmill run (0.5hr. zone 1; 0.5hr. lower half zone 2; 1.0hr. upper half zone 2)

I'm at a high level of running volume relative to my history, so having standard feelings of vulnerability to overuse injuries. Over the course of the weekend I took a few aspirin to keep the areas of minor inflammation from becoming chronic. All feels good today without intervention, so I might see about making Tuesday's run longer and bumping the recovery week to next week.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Davidson said...

It is a huge amount of running!

7/27/2009 08:14:00 am  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Jenny beat me to it!

Remember that ice is your friend too. The pain killer folks don't make much money on me :-)

7/27/2009 08:39:00 am  
Blogger Cliff said...

Ice knees are my best friend after the run.

7/27/2009 09:14:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

More hours running than I spent swimming. (Don't tell Duane!!!)

7/27/2009 05:45:00 pm  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

I agree with Jenny - that is high volume running.

7/27/2009 09:35:00 pm  
Anonymous Nigel. said...

"...having standard feelings of vulnerability to overuse injuries. Over the course of the weekend I took a few aspirin to keep the areas of minor inflammation from becoming chronic."

As much as I like aspirin, I have concerns. First, how many/much (and how often) are "a few aspirin"?

There is the issue of irreversibly altering the clotting function of platelets with aspirin. Other, newer NSAIDS do not suffer this irreversibilty problem.

As I am not providing medical advice. Seek advice from a licensed health practitioner. But there are better drugs than aspirin available over the counter.

Also, over use injuries are a result of, well, over use and sufficient rest is appropriate for recovery (and sufficient is generally long enough to impact training). But you alrady knew that...

7/31/2009 07:50:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home