Thursday, February 26, 2009

Spot-less

King George Island is Spot-less:
Coverage map for the SPOT satellite messenger

I might see whether or not a Garmin device will at least hold my route info for later overlaying on a map, but that seems like a lot of fussing.

My Iridium satellite phone will have coverage, thanks to the low earth (polar) orbit system (Iridium coverage and orbit map).

Although my BGAN satellite internet system should have coverage (BGAN coverage map), it is only for use when the vessel is not moving. I expect to not take it - we've worked out office back-up procedures that don't rely upon me having it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Mappy! (Not so mapi.)

2/26/2009 12:24:00 pm  
Blogger Dances with Corgis said...

those sat phones are pretty nifty.

2/26/2009 06:09:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GPS is truely global, so something like a Garmin 305 will track your position. In fact, due to the relatively unobstructed view of the sky, it should be very accurate.

Now, I am not sure that the Training Center software will have a map of Antactica. But, you should be able to load the track data into Google Earth which does contain a map (although I don't know what level of detail it contains). It is straightfoward getting your track from the Garmin into Google Earth. Might be interesting to load your track into Motion Based to see what sort of comments come back...

2/27/2009 01:31:00 pm  
Blogger Rainmaker said...

The reason for the lack of Spot coverage is because of the secondary non-GPS low-earth orbit satellites that actully do the recieving as part of the two-way piece for Spot. The GPS portion should work.

Btw, I checked into Motionbased, and some folks have actually posted activities from the Antartica Marathon using both a 205/305. :)

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/network/digest/view.mb?sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fmotionbased.com&keywordSearch=Antarctica&searchType=tn

Oh, btw - if you have any questions regarding the Spot, shoot me a message, I know the developers.

2/28/2009 04:59:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home