Saturday, February 28, 2009

Gear!

Last weekend I was in NYC, visiting Jenny and accumulating gear.

Jenny insisted that I should write a blog post about the Flip Ultra camcorder and associated underwater case/housing.
[BTW, I'm just using the store links because they're convenient - Amazon is selling those goods at lower prices.]

The Flip Ultra records 60 minutes of VGA quality video. It's small, light, and simple. Seems good for casual use.

I would have gone with their Mino line that records in HD quality, but there's no underwater case for that line (at least as yet). I think the underwater case will be useful on the Antarctica trip for withstanding snow, sleet, splashes, and ocean spray.

Here's my initial video from earlier today (you can see the little white butterflies against the ocean background):


Here's my initial trial of the underwater case:


Here's the result of the trial of the underwater case:


And finally, here's the dunking of the camcorder while in the case:

8 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Davidson said...

Wonderful!

2/28/2009 02:28:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gear!

Dunking!!

Butterflies!!! (I think we had snowflakes that big yesterday.)

2/28/2009 03:37:00 pm  
Blogger Rainmaker said...

Very nice! I've contemplated this camera a bit and the case, so this is good stuff.

2/28/2009 05:34:00 pm  
Blogger Bill said...

Neat toy you have there. I could see lots of uses for that.

2/28/2009 07:54:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The actual dunk test would have been far better had we heard "Cannon Ball!" and seen the splash.

3/01/2009 07:29:00 pm  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Looks like you're set! I assume extreme cold is not an issue for the camera or the batteries ...

3/02/2009 11:36:00 am  
Blogger Fe-lady said...

Works great! Thanks for the sound of the surf and have a great trip!

3/02/2009 02:39:00 pm  
Blogger Born To Endure said...

Is that sun I see..forget about the camera..sighhhhhhhh

3/03/2009 07:52:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home