Monday, December 08, 2008

Early Morning Training Run

My outlook on the Cayman Islands Marathon and Half Marathon was to run the half as a training run.

Although the 5am gun time (required to spare slower marathoners the heat of midday) was inconveniently early, I did awake before my 3:30am alarm. Breakfast was a Clif bar, and to avoid later portapotty use I didn't even have a cup of tea. The start/finish line was a 1.3 mile walk from my condo, so I was there with lots of time to spare.

I seeded myself at the back of the pack. My plan was to run out in zone 2, and back in zone 3. I carried no water, but did have a few items in a runner's wallet strapped to my racebelt.

The race was well-supported with aid stations every mile. The roads weren't closed (except for the start/finish block), but drivers were considerate and careful, and we did have police and volunteers at major intersections.

One of the cute bits of the run out was running past the house of the Miss Boddens. It was still dark, and they had left their Christmas display ablaze. Here's a pic that the visiting Instapundit took of their display last week: Instapundit link. I saw one of the runners stop to take a pic himself.

Shortly after the turn-around, I spotted a timing chip on the ground. I picked it up, and ran back a few yards to hand it to the volunteer staffing the intersection. Upon reflection I realized that I should just have put it in my runner's wallet and turned it in at the end myself. So, #456, I hope the volunteer got it turned in and so you didn't get dinged the $35 for a missing chip.

On the return leg my heart rate quickly headed for my zone 3/zone 4 threshold. By the mile 10 marker I had had enough of restraint and decided to run comfortably hard. I was surprised at how high my heart rate went without sucking for air or feeling distressed legs - I suppose my lack of endurance training has made me more succeptible to heart rate drift. I saw my heart rate go into the 190s and kept with it. It was when I saw a heart rate of 201 that I thought I had better bring it down a bit (back to the mid-to-low 190s). I haven't seen 201 for almost four years, since last getting a maximum heart rate estimate on a treadmill. I had thought my max heart rate might be lower than that by now.

I finished in about 2:20, and then hung around for while. Took in some fluids, including some coffee. Chatted with a few folks I knew. Watched the first couple of marathoners cross the line, and then walked home. BTW, for progression purposes I'm counting that as a 14.5 mile run (half credit for the walking before and after).

My thanks to the volunteers, sponsors, and organizers!

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, I love that snow globe!!!

An excellent training run & report.

12/08/2008 07:42:00 pm  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Incredible holiday display!

And nice training run. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who is able to get a HR reading above 190 without feeling like I'm about to pass out.

12/08/2008 07:55:00 pm  
Blogger Rainmaker said...

Wow, that is an impressive display.

Nicely done on the early training run/race. I'd just run right back to bed afterwards.

12/08/2008 10:18:00 pm  
Blogger Jenny Davidson said...

Interesting HR data. I certainly notice it when I go into the 170s from the 160s, and have never seen a reading above the high 180s - but then I have a tendency to cop out on the maximum HR treadmill test, I have never done one properly!

Insty took nice pictures on Grand Cayman...

Thanks for the report!

Usage: "The Misses Bodden"?!?

12/08/2008 11:55:00 pm  
Blogger Doris said...

Oh they are lovely Christmas decorations!!

As for your HR.... I think above 185 I'd be in hospital!! LOL!

Great run :o)

12/09/2008 04:19:00 am  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

Wow - your heart rate really rocks! And congratulations on a nice training run - the location, as always, sounds magnificant.

12/09/2008 10:26:00 am  
Blogger Cliff said...

You went over 200? I never see my HR go over that high. You must be a bumble bee :) or a humming bird.

Congrats on a good holiday training run. :)

12/09/2008 11:58:00 am  
Blogger IronLinae, PhD said...

2:20 is a pretty spry training run. Great job!

12/10/2008 03:18:00 pm  
Blogger Fe-lady said...

Congrats on your "fun" race...hard not to get caught up in it sometimes.
And thanks for visiting my site...I am not so consistent with yours and Wendy's. My apologies!

12/15/2008 05:54:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home