Saturday, June 07, 2008

Gear!

I bought my second digital camera this week, an Olympus Stylus 1030 SW at Cathy Church's Underwater Photo Centre (link for potential on-island shoppers).

It seems that I won't put my other digital camera in its underwater housing for anything short of scuba diving (O-ring and gel too much bother), so a waterproof camera seems useful to me. Maybe some visitors will use it, and given the temperature rating maybe it'll hold up for the Antarctica marathon. It definitely counts as sports gear, because I could choose to use it to record video of my swim stroke.

This morning I took it and the floating foam strap (orange) accessory to the standard evening sea swim spot (and site of Cathy Church's), Sunset House.

Here you can see that there's a nice little formation right at the entry ladder:



I swam on the surface, parallel to the shore, along the usual route (although I cut it very short). The usual route takes us past a few shore dive sites, so the environment is more interesting than the pool. Here's a few of the test pix on the panoramic settting (click to enlarge - if you're at all interested I suggest you do, as the panoramic setting doesn't do much for the fish).







I took that last photo back at the ladders - fish are there, but they're a bit more shy.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Practically indestructable gear! Sea swim! Fishes!

(Colour me jealous.)

6/07/2008 01:53:00 pm  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

That is a very nice pool. Much better than my views at the local YMCA.

6/07/2008 09:45:00 pm  
Blogger Jenny Davidson said...

Since Wendy already had my comment, I am going to have to have it again in all caps:

SEA SWIM! FISHES!

6/08/2008 03:13:00 pm  
Blogger Rainmaker said...

Cool camera. I've got one of the Optio waterproof ones - similiar to the one you just got. I'm in the market for a new one though, so I'll be interested to see how ya like it over some time.

Are you actually going to run the Antartica Marathon? Cause...I'm thinking you're training in the wrong place. ;)

6/08/2008 08:33:00 pm  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Oh WOW! Wish I didn't just recently by a new digital camera because that one looks even better than the one I got. Cool underwater pics!!

6/09/2008 02:28:00 pm  
Blogger Iron Eric said...

Cool!!!!!!!!!! Reminds me of Jamaica Swimming. I could see all the fishies. Of course, that was before I starting swimming (for reals)

6/10/2008 12:21:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home