Sunday, January 20, 2008

Stroke Clinic

Today my sister did her requalification as a swimming stroke and turn judge. Good work!

Which brings me to my own swim stroke, specifically freestyle. Which is a frightening apt descriptor of my front crawl....

Last Sunday visiting aspirational triathlete Jenny Davidson and I joined 10 others at a Swimming Technology Research stroke clinic. Here is Jenny's report: link

This Friday I joined the regular evening sea swim and collected my personal CD from Juliaan La Valette, who arranged for the clinic (thanks Juliaan!).

Yesterday I loaded my laptop with the analysis software and data from the CD and again stared in mild horror at my video.

To paraphrase one of Dr. Rod Havriluk's comments to me: You have a lot going on there, don't you?

Yeah. Not only problems in the stroke, but strong asymmetries.

I think I'll start with concentrating on my left arm pull. If I can reduce its crossing-over, maybe I can then tweak my right arm entry....

Anyhow, it was a good clinic. Many of the attendees got some immediate results! Recommended.

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Mild horror ... I know it well!

Freestyle = any stroke! (Except in IM or a medley relay.)

Thanks for the shout out.

1/20/2008 02:39:00 pm  
Blogger Jenny Davidson said...

My disk is sitting on the desk next to the computer like some baleful magical talisman from a Tolkien novel, I am going to take the plunge later this evening and ritually mortify myself by watching it repeatedly and pondering possible fixes!

1/20/2008 02:51:00 pm  
Blogger Bill said...

"You've got a lot going on there, haven't you?"

Wow. I suspect that spoke volumes. Personally, I appreciate feedback like that. I hope it works out for you!

1/20/2008 08:25:00 pm  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

The good news is that you got some solid feedback and are ready to go foward. Good luck!

1/21/2008 12:59:00 am  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Yes, video cameras are brutally honest. Great tool for improvement!

1/21/2008 08:27:00 am  
Blogger Doris said...

Sea swim.... SHUDDER.. oh I forgot you live somewhere nice and warm ;o)

Have been wanting to get myself some video tuition - looks like it's worthwhile!

1/21/2008 04:20:00 pm  
Blogger Iron Eric said...

well...at least you know what to work on.

1/22/2008 08:02:00 am  
Blogger Bullet said...

Wow, I would hate for someone to judge my stroke. I know I'd benefit from it though. Good luck with the work.

1/23/2008 09:10:00 am  
Blogger Fe-lady said...

"You have a lot going on...."

This is precisely why I don't have anyone look at my decrepit stroke. It gets me across the pool and that's just fine with me...you and sis on the other hand are brave for having coaching. I am too old and crotchety...! :-)

1/23/2008 02:09:00 pm  
Blogger Cliff said...

Any chance you will share this on youtube for the rest of us tribloggers? :)

Video is the only feedback for swimming. Sadly, I don't enjoy watching myself as well :)

1/23/2008 02:15:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home