Friday, December 21, 2007

Just Add Water

Went to Masters swimming last night for the first time in weeks (illness then sloth).

Today the appropriate muscles are complaining, so my stroke hasn't completely fallen apart, just mostly. The session was more oriented to sprints, which contributes to the complaints. Stayed in lane 4, but dropped back in line.

Frighteningly clear how bad my right-side breathing is. I'm lifting/tilting back my head such that I'm feeling some arching in my upper back.
=:-0

After the session we had a social outing to Senor Frog's. Thanks to Chuck for organizing. Although attendance at the pool was a bit light, a high percentage went on to the social (17 of us in absolute numbers). Fun times!

7 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Davidson said...

Good use of the word "sloth"!

This question of breathing on one side or the other is very vexing--aside from practical considerations, it seems to me just disturbing to think of ourselves being so strongly asymmetrical! The last time I did a whole workout's worth of bilateral and left-side breathing, I was actually afraid the next day that I had injured myself, I was having such discomfort on that bicep head area; my stroke totally falls apart when I am not breathing on the comfortable side...

12/21/2007 10:48:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sloth. I'm there. With bells on!

Wrong side breathing hints to come in email.

Senor Frog's!!! Sounds like a whole lot of fun!

12/21/2007 11:02:00 am  
Blogger Rainmaker said...

It's funny, I just recently started noticing how different my left side breathing is compared to my right. It does indeed put everything else just slightly out of whack.

Senor Frogs is awesome! When I was a like 8 my parents took me to one in Mexico - and I had an old frog hat from there for years!

12/21/2007 05:48:00 pm  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

Glad to hear you are once again back in the pool. I have the same issues of my form and breathing.

12/21/2007 07:40:00 pm  
Blogger the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

I'm learning how to bilateral breathe for the first time. My stroke is falling all to hell - and I'm dominant right side. My left, as it happens, is just crap.

meh.

12/23/2007 12:04:00 am  
Blogger Comm's said...

by going to senor frogs, don't you mean, "just add tequila" for your title

12/23/2007 02:38:00 am  
Blogger Dances with Corgis said...

heh. i think it's funny that you own up to "sloth" :)

12/23/2007 10:23:00 pm  

<< Home