Sunday, July 08, 2007

Specific Adaptations

Went out on the social donut ride this morning. This week some of the more serious cyclists weren't with us. Consequently I was with the front of the pack until the inevitable push in the last couple of miles - then I was stranded in no man's land behind a breakaway pack of four.

So as IMMoo looms, at least I'm not awful at going slow.

In the water the effect is more pronounced. Going easy or warming up my (low effort) pace exceeds the rest of the Masters swimmers in the intermediate lanes. Once we're in serious intervals that sure isn't true!

I also seem to be adapting somewhat to the heat & humidity. Under controlled conditions (Friel heartrate zone 2 on my stationary trainer) my sweat rate is down. One impact for me to keep in mind for IMMoo is the potential decrease in Gatorade intake and consequent need to take in more gels.

10 Comments:

Blogger Born To Endure said...

IMMOO can be either blazing hot, or rainy and cold (like last year)...I think they're due for an awesome weather year!!

7/08/2007 04:45:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Adaptation = good.

Not awful = getting better.

All in the right direction!

7/08/2007 06:28:00 pm  
Blogger Jenny Davidson said...

I love hearing about this stuff, sounds pretty good to me!

7/08/2007 06:51:00 pm  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

I am thinking along the same lines as Shelley - God only knows what the weather will be like at IMMOO.

7/08/2007 06:56:00 pm  
Blogger Andra Sue said...

Sounds like you're making some good progress there! Exciting stuff, to be sure. :-)

7/08/2007 09:30:00 pm  
Blogger Bigun said...

I've read that without fluids, the Gu's or any other carbo intake just won't digest - so you gotta keep taking in the fluids! Of course, tomorrow I could read just the opposite...

7/09/2007 06:41:00 am  
Blogger Jenny Davidson said...

You guys all certainly know this stuff already, but in my opinion the Clif Shot Bloks are INFINITELY more digestible than any of the brands of gu that I've tried. Also less risk of mess. They hold up well in quite hot weather--they give you a slight dry mouth effect, but if you take them with water, not so bad...

7/09/2007 01:18:00 pm  
Blogger TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Nutrition is the fourth discipline in long distance triathlon. Keep practicing to find out what works for you.

Stay tuned...

7/09/2007 07:10:00 pm  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Tough to train for such uncertain conditions. Personally, I think it's easier to train in the heat & humidity and race someplace else where it's cooler than v.v. Hopefully, IMMoo won't be as cold as last year, though!

7/11/2007 01:53:00 pm  
Blogger Tony said...

I have heard the conditions at IMMOO can be quite unstable. I am sure that with all your dedication and work ethic you will be just fine no matter what the conditions bring. Remember that the other athletes have to race in thesame conditions.

7/12/2007 11:14:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home