Saturday, July 28, 2007

Margaritaville

On my post of almost two weeks ago two people commented that they were unaware of the restaurant/bar chain Margaritaville. Having little else to blog, and being on a recovery week, I went there for lunch today.

This location is definitely designed with the cruise ship tourist ("cruiser") crowd in mind. It is in The Island Plaza. From the (north) cruise ship terminal on the sea side, there's one major crosswalk for people to get into town. The crosswalk leads directly to Island Plaza:




Looking up a little, they'll see the sign for Margaritaville and its patio; perhaps they will think, "We'll go there for lunch and a drink!"




If they do so, they should know that they will pay a premium for the location - but hey, they're on vacation! Here's the view from the doorway of Island Plaza, to highlight that the Plaza is nigh-on unavoidable for cruisers:



From the ground level of Island Plaza, one enters Margaritaville by way of its shop:




Yes, they will sell you merchandise on both floor one:




and floor two:




From floor two one may access the water slide:




or proceed into the restaurant/bar:




or go through the restaurant/bar and out to the patio, where one can get a (limited) harbour view:




Me, I sat at the bar and had conch soup, steak fajitas, and a margarita (the "Off To See The Lizard" variant - don't ask me exactly what differentiates it from their other margaritas). I quite liked the soup, found the fajitas a bit too salty for my taste, and thought the margarita was just passable.

Best comment overheard at the bar (from a patron who'd had a bartender make him one of her specials): "It doesn't taste very good, but I'm getting drunk."

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oooh. The water slide looks like fun! And the "cruisers" can have a margarita *and* get souvenirs. Wow. Who knew? (Thanks for the virtual tour.)

7/28/2007 03:44:00 pm  
Blogger Jenny Davidson said...

Yes, very fun! I like the line from the bar...

7/28/2007 07:41:00 pm  
Blogger Bigun said...

I'm sure mixing water slides and Lizard drinks is a bad combination. Hope you enjoyed the recovery week (as I did...) - time to get back to work!

7/29/2007 11:46:00 am  
Blogger Di said...

their mango margarita is really really tasty. I like some of the food at margaritaville. Their conch fritters are pretty good and so is their calamari. they have a calamari that is not fried. tasty.

7/29/2007 01:10:00 pm  
Blogger TriDaddy said...

We went on a cruise for my sisters wedding several years ago and paid a nice price for lunch in the bahamas. I should have had some maragaritas! By the way... nice little pool you have at work there.

7/29/2007 03:35:00 pm  
Blogger Dances with Corgis said...

I have stolen that bar patron quote for my new gchat sig.

7/29/2007 04:53:00 pm  
Blogger Iron Eric said...

I love that place!! Good times.

7/30/2007 09:37:00 am  
Blogger Fe-lady said...

"It doesn't taste good, but what the heck, I'm getting drunk...! " That's all that matters? Hell, if I am going to get drunk I am going to enjoy it on the palate and tongue! Hilarious!
Sounds like a "Rainforest Cafe" chain. Mediocre food but you can buy a gorilla on the way out....!

7/30/2007 05:01:00 pm  
Blogger Andra Sue said...

Eeeeew. Cruise ship passengers. :P

Jimmy Buffet's getting almost as good as Disney in his marketing efforts, I think!

7/31/2007 11:19:00 am  
Blogger shelek said...

I'm game for lousy food and average drinks if there's a water slide involved. I'm an easy target. :(

8/01/2007 01:57:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home