Monday, March 19, 2007

The Week That Was

Mon.: 1.0hr. Masters swim session
Wed.: 1.5hr. trainer ride zone 2 with drills
Thu.: 1.0hr. run zone 2 with zone 3 surges morning; 2.0hr. treadmill run zone 2 with extra simulated hills evening
Fri.: 1.5hr. informal sea swim
Sat.: 6.0hr. trainer ride zone 2
Sun.: 2.5hr. trainer ride (1.5hr. zone 2, 1.0hr. zone 3) plus 0.5hr. run-off

A good week in the context of my current level of preparation. Sunday would have been a brick, but after 0.5hr. of running my legs were telling me that they would charge a big recovery price; I bailed.

With the U.S. shift to DST, I was able to get out of the office and enjoy a longer sea swim on Friday: out and back along the shore from the dive ladder at Sunset House to Don Foster's Dive, repeated three times, done at a "go forever" pace. Being around shore dive sites, I'm swimming over coral reefs, so have various tropical fish (and sometimes other marine life) to entertain me - it makes the time go faster.
Next time I go that long I'll know where to apply BodyGlide first. That water has salt in it - there's the rub!

Four weeks to IMAZ, and this week (even considering Sunday) shows that my current base is enough to grind through. Risk of doing too much is now more noticeable than risk of doing too little.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The sea swim sounds quite magnificent!

Good job on the week's training. (Sometimes bailing is just the very best idea!)

3/19/2007 07:41:00 am  
Blogger Andra Sue said...

It's awesome that you see all kinds of tropical fish and interesting things on your open water swims! Do you scuba dive? (Maybe a dumb question given your locale.) I haven't gotten out to the Carribean to play with the sea creatures in a while...gotta put that on the to-do list for this year. :)

3/19/2007 12:10:00 pm  
Blogger Brent Buckner said...

Wendy: thanks!

Andra Sue: I have my PADI Open Water scuba certification, and a friend and I are scheduled to do Advanced Open Water the weekend after IMAZ.

Both: ideally I'll a few pictures from a sea swim a couple of weeks post-IMAZ.

3/19/2007 04:01:00 pm  
Blogger Comm's said...

we don't worry about the camera at IMAZ, water tastes fine (or did in last years races) but good luck seeing your hand in the water.

3/19/2007 05:47:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ooooh. Pictures.

3/19/2007 06:09:00 pm  
Blogger Brent Buckner said...

Comm's: thanks for aiding my mental prep!

3/19/2007 08:22:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home