Monday, March 12, 2007

The Week That Was

Mon: 1hr. Masters swim
Wed.: 1hr. trainer drill session zone 2
Thu.: 1hr. run zone 2/3 morning; 2hr. run zone 3 evening
Sat.: 5.0hr. trainer zone 2
Sun.: 4.0hr. brick (3hr. trainer zone 2; 1hr. treadmill run zone 2)

A relatively good week. I blew off the notion of a sea swim on Friday, but otherwise solid. Enough work to nap on Saturday.

I went with the trendy split run day. During the workweek a 3-hour slot is tough to manage, and I wanted the Sunday brick. Also, I do think folks have a point about the recovery issues associated with a 3 hour run.

Noticable training time in zone 3 on Thursday. That is often discouraged, as the cost/benefit ratio of recovery requirements versus training effects doesn't look good when compared with zone 2 or lactate threshold work. However, in my week it looked as though I could afford the cost for the extra training benefit (limited though it may be) on Thursday, and my model for get-it-over-with-on-base (Gale Bernhardt's 13/13 plan) has lots of room for zone 3. Looking back, it was a good session. Beyond conditioning, I probably got some benefit from desensitization; various muscles were signalling exertion effects in the last half-hour, calves were giving pre-cramp twinges (electrolytes required if I do that again), and I had to work at holding anything resembling form.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good week of training in!

3/12/2007 08:59:00 am  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

It was a solid week. Can't beat quality and quantity.

3/12/2007 06:22:00 pm  
Blogger Duane said...

Good job and good on the nap! I'm a firm believer in them!

3/13/2007 07:52:00 am  
Blogger Brent Buckner said...

All: thanks for the encouragement.

Tomorrow this training week gets serious - I'm looking for three solid weeks in a row.

3/13/2007 04:17:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Serious it is, then. Go Brent!

3/14/2007 06:42:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home