Friday, February 16, 2007

Not Letting Go

OK, I know that I have to do IMAZ on base alone. I know that there are reasonable schedules for which my fitness is not behind the curve in the ninth week before an Ironman. So, I could just execute one of those plans, right?

Apparently, if I were someone else I could. Being me instead, this week I dropped two weeknight drill sessions and substituted two 2hr. zone 2 efforts. I figure that my form is ahead of my endurance fitness, so the priority is to recruit type IIa muscle fibres and cajole them toward slow-twitchiness.

Next week is a recovery week. After that I'll consider how to juggle my weekly schedule to make the best use of the remaining 7 weeks. The first decision is to select from:
(a) 3 weeks of base, 1 week of recovery, 3 weeks of taper;
(b) 2 weeks of base, 1 week of recovery, 2 weeks of base, 2 weeks of taper;
(c) 4 weeks of base, 1 week of recovery, 2 weeks of taper.
I'm thinking (b).

Simpler issues than my sister's event order conundrums, yes? Feel free to drop by her site and offer advice. I'm open for comment too.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So let me summarize:

I am behind schedule on my plan.
I could execute an alternate plan to get back on schedule.
I will continue to execute my plan in a modified form and hope for the best.

Hey! It's a plan! It doesn't have to be a great plan, it just has to be executable. A great plan you couldn't execute would be worthless.

Good luck on IMAZ.

2/16/2007 10:07:00 am  
Blogger Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Better to have too much base than too little.

I know very little about scheduling but is there a reason your recovery week is separated from your taper? It seems like you could incoporate your recovery week as part of your taper to gain another week of base training if you really want one.

2/16/2007 10:27:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yup. Find a plan, execute the plan. Doesn't mean you can't make up your own plan.

For what it's worth, I vote b. Failing b, c.

And thanks for the appeal!

2/16/2007 06:22:00 pm  
Blogger Brent Buckner said...

All: thanks!

Nigel: yup. Rather than accept the canned sub-optimal plan, I'll design my own Valuable Learning Experience.

Trifeist: I use "taper" to specifically designate the pre-race period of relatively high quality low duration workouts. For me, "taper" features sharpening/staying sharp - "recovery" doesn't. A "recovery" week has no hard workouts (even testing during a recovery week really shouldn't constitute loading). For my lead-in to IMAZ, a "taper" week would have Friel zone 3 workouts scheduled; a "recovery" week wouldn't.

Wendy: noted!

2/18/2007 01:40:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home