Sunday, January 14, 2007

Cayman Tri-Life: Stride Against Cancer 2007

Today the Cayman Islands Cancer Society held its Stride Against Cancer 2007.

There were two distances (6.5 miles and half-marathon). Aid stations were placed approximately every mile. Entry was $25CI (or $31.25USD). It isn't a race; there's not even an official clock.

I did the half-marathon as a (low heart-rate) training run. Even with the 6am start for the long course (1 hour earlier than the short course) and catered hydration, it took me 2:45. Parking my car at our office gave me a 1.5 mile walk before and after, so that overcame my tendency to not do suitable warm-ups or cool-downs.

It was a great day. It's a family-friendly event: lots of strollers on the (short) course, some kids-in-tow, and a few dogs. Overall, there were more than 1300 participants.

My thanks to the organizers, sponsors, and volunteers.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! 1300! That's great!

Sounds like you had an enjoyable training day, too.

1/14/2007 11:18:00 am  
Blogger TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Way to go! Don't ya just love it when you have a good event for a great cause?

Stay tuned...

1/14/2007 05:37:00 pm  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

It sounds like a great way to spend a Sunday morning. Congratulations.

1/14/2007 07:28:00 pm  
Blogger Brent Buckner said...

Wendy, TriBoomer, Spokane Al:

Thanks! It was indeed a great day out for an important cause.

1/15/2007 08:08:00 am  
Blogger David Rotor said...

This caught my eye:

Parking my car at our office gave me a 1.5 mile walk before and after, so that overcame my tendency to not do suitable warm-ups or cool-downs.

I recall some discussion about what constituted an appropriate Cayman car. And I recall suggesting a Cayman would be perfect, if only it had a different name. What made the cut?

1/15/2007 10:54:00 pm  
Blogger Brent Buckner said...

Dave:

Toyota Rav4, although I'm still renting. I tried a Toyota Yaris last year up until rainy season, and then shifted to the Rav4 for rainy season. Definitely want an SUV in rainy season.

Business partner Gord bought one a couple of weeks back. I'm holding out until my work permit renewal process is complete.

1/16/2007 07:58:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Don't want to jinx that!

1/16/2007 05:36:00 pm  

<< Home