Friday, November 03, 2006

Swim Themed Post: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow

Yesterday at swimming I bit the bullet and had a word with Coach Mike. I explained to him that I'm in base training for triathlon, and consequently preferred to swim the hypoxic sets not hypoxically. He had no trouble at all with that, and was quite gracious and positive. I knew he'd be fine with it, but it goes against the grain to push back against something a coach has set down. I have no problem with giving a coach feedback, but this felt more like over-ruling, something that Just Is Not Done. BTW, I've also demoted myself to a slower lane for base training.

Today I'll attend the launch party for our new Masters swim club, Hammerheads. Appropriately, it's being held at Hammerheads Brew Pub and Grill.

Tomorrow my big sister makes her return to swimming in an official meet. Go Wendy!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a good trainer that listens to the goals of the trainee and adjusts to help him/her attain those goals.

Better to over-rule the coach than to have to fire him for failing to understand your goals.

11/03/2006 09:03:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Masters swimming is full of old peeps. (Not namin' any names on their birthdays or anything -- you're still a baby by Masters standards.) Masters coaches, by extension, are significantly more flexible in their outlooks, and expect to modify their swimmers' workouts according to their goals and abilities. I'm sure he didn't take it as an Over-Ruling.

Maybe one day Coach Mike will let me swim in the slow lane ... because I modify almost everything!

11/03/2006 09:31:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh ... and thanks for the shout out! (I'm a little scattered!)

11/03/2006 09:32:00 am  
Blogger :) said...

HBD!!!

11/03/2006 10:08:00 am  
Blogger Brent Buckner said...

Nigel: true. Due to my off-season absence the goal communication and the not-going-hypoxic communication were in the same conversation; hence, the feeling of being uncomfortably close to over-ruling.

Wendy: you're welcome. I think Coach Mike would have you in the fast lane, but at the back of the line to not muss up others. Come visit and find out!

Flatman: thanks!

11/03/2006 12:57:00 pm  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

Happy birthday Brent - and I hope you have many, many more!

11/03/2006 11:57:00 pm  
Blogger Brent Buckner said...

Thanks Al - that's a nice wish!

11/04/2006 02:34:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Brent, one day ...

11/05/2006 08:48:00 am  

<< Home