Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Cayman Tri-Life: Masters Swimming

Swimming is a well-supported sport here. There's a strong traditional attachment to the sea, and year-round it is usually friendly to swimmers.

As a sport, the organising body is the Cayman Islands Amateur Swimming Association. The Masters swimming programme is under its umbrella, as is the official Masters club - Hammerheads. A few of the swimmers went to the World Masters Championships this year, which strikes me as pretty good from a base of 50,000 residents.

Masters swimming in the local 6-lane 25metre outdoor pool is Monday and Thursday evenings at a cost of $3 CI (= $3.75USD) per session. A bargain! We also have access to the pool on some mornings at no cost without formal workouts, and there are informal group sea swims too.

Mike Barrowman is our Masters swim coach. Go on, click on his name to see his Wikipedia entry. I told you that swimming is well-supported! Coach Mike has a different full-time gig on-island; we're fortunate to have him here.

Tonight, weather permitting, I'll be back in the pool after a hiatus that began in the middle of my build for the Berlin marathon. Looking forward to it!

When I refer to "Cayman Tri-Life", it will usually focus on the big island, Grand Cayman.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sure it'll be great to back in the water!

Now, though, for some reason, I have _Back in the High Life Again_ running through my head. But with lyric variants. Tri=High. It goes on ...

10/05/2006 09:58:00 am  
Blogger Bolder said...

you WON! YOU WON!!

JUMPS UP AND DOWN!!!

YOU WON!

http://ironm4n.blogspot.com/

10/05/2006 10:15:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Didja? Didja? Was it you who won something?

10/05/2006 10:35:00 am  
Blogger Brent Buckner said...

Bold: thanks for the heads-up!

Wendy: who else could it be? Nobody else 'round here has evah mentioned Kona Shelley! 'sides which, as you occasionally point out, I'm the luckiest person you've ever met.

Snoopy dance!

10/05/2006 10:46:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Way coool!!! Maybe you can post a picture of the prize ...

Wanna phone Dell for me, Mr. Lucky??

10/05/2006 11:10:00 am  
Blogger Brent Buckner said...

Wendy:

Posting pictures would involve a camera. Of course, by the time the package manages to run across Canada, swim past the Bermuda Triangle down to Grand Cayman, and then run circles around the island before hopping into my postbox, I may have bought a camera.

As to Dell, I know better. That would just be asking too much of the Universe.

10/05/2006 11:16:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, well, the buying a camera thing was kinda where I was going with that.

*sigh* I knew the Dell thing would be too much to ask! So I'm having comfort food first. Then I'm gonna get a coke from Luciano's. Because I don't have a vending maching like the one at Bold's office ...

10/05/2006 11:26:00 am  

<< Home